App that provides extensive maps and route directions
Google Maps is a navigation app for Android and iOS which supports voice navigation, saving maps for offline usage, and voice command. Updated hourly with data from the company that has mapped most of the known world, you will not find a more accurate or up-to-date map. Google Maps provides you with several different filters to view maps through, including satellite, terrain, and traffic views. You can see the earth just as it appears to a bird flying over or you can focus your view on roads, streets, and paths with points of interest displayed all over. Even obscure hole-in-the-wall shops are often mapped on Google, and Google will make recommendations for local activities, restaurants (complete with Google user reviews), and other local places and events.
Once you have chosen a destination, you can use voice navigation to tell you how to get from your current location (autodetected using satellite) to your final destination. Whether you are walking, biking, taking public transportation, or driving your own vehicle, Google Maps shows you step-by-step the most efficient route to reach your destination. Live traffic updates, rerouting, and lane assist functionality ensures that you never miss an exit or wonder if you are on the fastest route again.
Now both Android and iOS support saving maps offline for navigation even when you don't have reception or a data connection. Google will even suggest a map area to save based on your home and work address and often-traversed areas.
- Voice navigation with live traffic updates, lane assist, and rerouting.
- Save map areas for offline navigation.
- Most up-to-date maps with millions of points of interest.
- Several different filters to view maps.
- Detects current location.
- Suggests nearby activities, restaurants, and more.
- Does not currently support saving whole states for offline navigation.
• Check out photos of hotel rooms right on the place sheet
• Search for places by category (grocery stores, restaurants, etc.) even when using Maps offline
-- Become a Beta Tester - http://goo.gl/vLUcaJ
Potentially dangerous permissions
- ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access approximate location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION.
- ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION: Allows an app to access precise location. Alternatively, you might want ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION.
- CALL_PHONE: Allows an application to initiate a phone call without going through the Dialer user interface for the user to confirm the call.
- GET_ACCOUNTS: Allows access to the list of accounts in the Accounts Service.
- READ_CONTACTS: Allows an application to read the user's contacts data.
- READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to read from external storage.
- WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE: Allows an application to write to external storage.
- ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: Allows applications to access information about networks.
- ACCESS_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to access information about Wi-Fi networks.
- BLUETOOTH: Allows applications to connect to paired bluetooth devices.
- BLUETOOTH_ADMIN: Allows applications to discover and pair bluetooth devices.
- BROADCAST_STICKY: Allows an application to broadcast sticky intents. These are broadcasts whose data is held by the system after being finished, so that clients can quickly retrieve that data without having to wait for the next broadcast.
- CHANGE_WIFI_STATE: Allows applications to change Wi-Fi connectivity state.
- DISABLE_KEYGUARD: Allows applications to disable the keyguard if it is not secure.
- GET_PACKAGE_SIZE: Allows an application to find out the space used by any package.
- INSTALL_SHORTCUT: Allows an application to install a shortcut in Launcher.
- INTERNET: Allows applications to open network sockets.
- NFC: Allows applications to perform I/O operations over NFC.
- READ_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to read the sync settings.
- RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: Allows an application to receive the ACTION_BOOT_COMPLETED that is broadcast after the system finishes booting. If you don't request this permission, you will not receive the broadcast at that time. Though holding this permission does not have any security implications, it can have a negative impact on the user experience by increasing the amount of time it takes the system to start and allowing applications to have themselves running without the user being aware of them. As such, you must explicitly declare your use of this facility to make that visible to the user.
- VIBRATE: Allows access to the vibrator.
- WAKE_LOCK: Allows using PowerManager WakeLocks to keep processor from sleeping or screen from dimming.
- WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS: Allows applications to write the sync settings.